A fifth-generation San Diegan, Susanne Barrett married her husband Keith in 1985. She graduated from Point Loma Nazarene University with a Bachelor of Arts in Literature in 1988 and from the University of San Diego with a Master of Arts in English in 1991, with concentrations in Medieval Literature, British Literature, and Poetry. At USD she co-published the book Light of Learning: The Selected Essays of Morton W. Bloomfield, 1970-1986 with Dr. Elizabeth Walsh, Department Chair and Harvard Ph.D., in 1993.
After working at Harcourt Brace Jovanovich Publishers from 1988-1992, Susanne taught in the German Department at USD in 1991. She returned to PLNU as an adjunct instructor in 1992, teaching courses in Freshman Composition, MLA Research Methods, German, and World Literature.
After retiring from teaching to raise and home educate their four children, Susanne started teaching writing classes for Heritage Christian School‘s co-op Class Days in 1997. She revised the core writing curriculum for Beginning Writing for junior high and high school students before writing curriculum for Intermediate (college prep) and Advanced (honors) Writing courses (now Expository Essay I and Expository Essay II) for high school students at Heritage Christian School.
In 2002 Susanne joined the teaching team at Brave Writer where she worked on the monthly subscriptions The Arrow, The Boomerang, and The Slingshot at various times. In addition, she has taught online courses in grammar and story writing and has designed, written, and taught online classes in Poetry, Shakespeare, Literary Analysis, Fan Fiction, and the MLA Research Essay. She continues to teach ten online courses per year at Brave Writer.
Susanne is a founding member of the Mountain Empire Creative Arts Council, an arts council in eastern San Diego County. She currently facilitates the monthly meetings of the Mountain Empire Creative Arts Council Writers’ Workshop where Susanne has given multiple readings of her poetry. She continues to publish her work on her personal blog, Meditative Meanderings, where she has posted her original writing since 2006. Susanne also co-edited the Book of Common Prayer 2011 for the Reformed Episcopal Church.
Currently, she is doing volunteer proofreading/editing work for Pine Valley Community Church and FIT Ministries, among other organizations. She also designs and updates blogs/websites for Mountain Empire Creative Arts Council Writers’ Workshop, and author Judith Deem Dupree's This Higher Point of Land. Susanne has also successfully completed the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) in 2008, 2009, 2011, and 2012 and Writer’s Digest NovPAD Poetry Chapbook Challenge in 2010, plus the National Poetry Writing Month (NaPoWriMo) in 2009 & 2010. She has proofread novels and projects for Austen Variations authors Maria Grace, Shannon Winslow, and Abigail Reynolds.
- Editor of and contributor to Reflections, the literary magazine of Granite Hills High School, 1984
- Editor of and contributor to The Driftwood, the literary magazine of Point Loma Nazarene University, 1988
- Bachelor of Arts in Literature, Summa cum Laude, Point Loma Nazarene University, 1988. Rank in graduating class: 2.
- Research Assistant to Dr. Elizabeth Walsh, English Department Chair at University of San Diego, 1989-1991
- Master of Arts in English, University of San Diego, 1991
- Graduate Instructor in German Department at University of San Diego, Fall 1991
- Adjunct Lecturer/Instructor in the Department of Literature, Journalism, and Modern Languages at Point Loma Nazarene University, 1992-1995
- Co-editor with Dr. Elizabeth Walsh of Light of Learning: The Selected Essays of Morton W. Bloomfield, 1970-1986, 1993
- Home educator of our four children through Heritage Christian School (HCS), 1997-2018
- Proofreader for Lake Murray Community Church (1995-2013), FIT Ministries (1995-present), and Alpine Anglican Church of the Blessed Trinity (2007-present)
- Curriculum designer and instructor of junior high and high school courses in Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced Writing, 9th-12th grade Discussing Shakespeare, 4th-6th grade Poetry, and 4th-6th grade Medieval History for Heritage Christian School (HCS), 1997-2016
- Online course instructor and writer of various monthly subscriptions for BraveWriter.com, 2002-present; as of July 2012 advanced to job title: Senior Teacher, Staff Writer, and Curriculum Developer
- Retreat Speaker on Contemplative Prayer and Practice for Lake Murray Community Church’s Women’s Retreat, 2006
- Directed the children’s program and presented a poetry reading at Ad Lib Christian Arts Retreat in Colorado, 2006
- Co-founder of Mountain Empire Creative Arts Council (MECAC) in Pine Valley, CA, 2006-present
- Participant and current Facilitator of MECAC Writers Workshop, 2007-present
- Featured Artist for MECAC Artist Presentation: Reading and Discussion of my original poetry, 2007
- Proofreader of Firestorm, Master of Fine Arts Thesis of Kathryn Belsey for Pacific University, 2009.
- Proofreader/Editorial Board of 2011 Book of Common Prayer by Father Keith Acker of Alpine Anglican Church of the Blessed Trinity, 2010-2011.
- Retreat Workshop Speaker at Pine Valley Bible Conference Center's Spring Women's Conference: Journaling Workshop and Blogging Workshop, March 2012, and Journaling Workshop for PVBCC's Mother/Daughter Retreat, May 2012.
- Founder and owner of online business: Susanne Barrett: Online Essay Grading, Tutoring, and Editing, 2010-present.
- Editor, formatter, and proofreader of Sky Mesa Journal by Judith Deem Dupree, published by Resource Publications, an imprint of Wipf and Stock, Fall 2016.
- Proofreader of Snowbound at Hartfield (2017), Longbourn: Dragon Entail (Book Two of the Jane Austen's Dragons series, 2017), and The Heir of Rosings Park (Book 3 in the Queen of Rosings Park series, 2017) by Maria Grace.
- Proofreader of Conceit and Concealment (2017) by Abigail Reynolds.
- Proofreader of Netherfield: Rogue Dragon (2018), A Proper Introduction to Dragons (2018) (both part of the Jane Austen Dragons series), A Most Affectionate Mother (2018), and Inspiration (2019) by Maria Grace.
- Proofreader and editor of Prayer and Praise: A Devotional Based on the Prayers of Jane Austen by Shannon Winslow (to be published in autumn of 2019)